Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fall Festival & Pumpkin Huntin'


 Fall is our favorite time of year. Great weather, nature's colors, and the season's flavors all make this the finest of the year's four quarters. Each year, Watkinsville (Athens's neighbor city to the south) hosts a great fall festival. It's the kind with pony rides and hay rides, local arts and crafts and local music. Everybody goes: the parents with their children, the middle schoolers go to hang out with their friends. Now that I have been freed from my weekend of restaurant servitude, how could we not go?

The weather was a comfy 70 something and the ground was dry after the week's rain.



We walked and walked. We saw all kinds of crafts, food, face painting, hair feathers, pop-guns, etc. But the only thing we actually waited in line for was...
          KETTLE KORN!

And wait, we did. It took us 20 minutes to wait the line out for this stuff, but I didn't regret a minute after I'd had my first sweet-n-salty bite.  And really - look at these girls! How could I not?



Meanwhile, my social butterflies were making new friends. 


On the way home, we drove by the Baptist Church on South Milledge that always has copious amounts of pumpkins out on their front lawn. After 11 years of swearing that I would get my pumpkin there, I finally did. They have this great method of determining price: a dollar per inch of pumpkin width, height notwithstanding, erring in favor of the customer. We got this pink one for $8!


Everyone was ready for a break after such a busy day


More soon,
r

No comments:

Post a Comment