Monday, January 31, 2011

New York City!

A Whirlwind in a Winter Wonderland

This past weekend, Hannah, her mother, her grandmother, and her pa flew to NYC to catch a rock n roll show (yes, I secretly hope to be called "pa" or "pops." Not sure why.) Sarah's new full-time Mom duties have precluded one of her previous, and more glamorous, occupations- yet there was an open-ended invitation to rejoin whenever or wherever she wanted. Well, the right one came along at the right time so we jumped. To New York City we went... the day after their third record-breaking snow storm. JFK was still back-loaded but our dear Laguardia was open for business.

Now, NYC has a pretty rough reputation down here with us southern yokels. Therefore I was surprised to see so many hardened city-folk slipping as they slogged through the slush that was carved to the curb, gathering grease and grime. (Pardon the alliteration- I couldn't help myself) Those who chose form over function paid a dear price- it was a bad weekend for heels. 
And I was expecting colder weather, too. But we yokels have had a pretty serious winter so far and my blood has thickened significantly. I could, therefore, cover a city block with the unconcerned nonchalance of my Yankee brethern.

Man, nothing builds self esteem like learning to navigate Manhattan. Trains and taxis and tourists, oh my. But I now know Midtown from uptown and I know my streets from avenues. And I know that some of my best friends are in New York. The fam and I got to cover many bases in a small amount of time.

To the pics...
Bennett and Vivian (very pregnant with her second son) and Topher, three of my far-flung friends made time to hang out. Vivian doesn't go out much but hey, she says, "how often do you get put on the guest list at Radio City Music Hall?"

Facial hair: laughable, respectable, and serious.

The smiles say it all.

A four-eyed forum: The five of us (yes, five) enjoyed steak frites, great company, and and mediocre service.

Viv meets Hannah. Ah, Vivian- can you find Velasquez?

Momma Donna accompanied us. Many hands makes light work, don't you know. There is a solid relationship between Hannah and her grandma- one's presence amplifies the other's happiness. She and I split care duties while S was shakin' it.
We'd have been lost without Momma Donna.

Bjorn and headphones- ready for a rock show. We caught 4 songs of the set like this, much to the delight of all who noticed.

That's a big house.

Part-time rock star. Isn't she lovely?

The full line up, and man, they sound good!

Radio City in all its glory.

A small nag was laid to rest upon our return home. Since I walked across that stage in December, I had a hard time believing that it was really over- that college was done (undergrad, at least).

This was waiting for me when I got home. The frame looks great, Dad. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Love seeing a baby in Peltor Juniors!!
    Glad y'all had a great trip. Can't wait to hear about it.

    Love to all...Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. That girl is super cute. I'm putting her on the list of Lucian's possible fiances... :) I hate to miss a Velazquez reference- are you comparing you and grandma to the King and Queen of Spain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, nothing so deep. But if you look closely, you may see the artist has included himself in the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, upon reexamination of the query...perhaps I'm noble after all!

    ReplyDelete